THE SEPARATION FOR INCLUSION (3)


“...I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.” — Romans 9:2–3


THE ECHO OF GRACE


In our last reflection, we confronted a searching question born from Abraham’s profound humility and generosity toward Lot: “How do we so easily slide from a calling of grace into a culture of vengeance? Why do we focus so heavily on our wounds, using our scars as an excuse to inflict pain on others?” 


This question has opened a deep, heart-searching dialogue about forgiveness and meekness. For many, it has acted as a mirror, revealing areas of hidden bitterness. For others, it has sparked a sincere desire to seek a path of reconciliation, healing, and peace. 


To look closely at our own hearts, we must ask ourselves these vital questions:

1. Does retaliation and vengeance truly satisfy a hurting heart, or does it merely feed the flame of anger?

2. Does striking back actually remove the pain, or does it preserve it?

3. What do we gain spiritually, mentally, or emotionally when we refuse to forgive?

4. Can retaliation ever yield the genuine peace we long for?

5. Does returning injury for injury ever truly balance the scales of our suffering?

6. Why do we still carry a heavy weight of pain and guilt even after we think we have settled the score?



PROVING INSIGHT: The Illusion of Retaliation


There is a profound spiritual and psychological truth at play here: unforgiveness and retaliation bind us to a heavier burden than the original offense ever could.


When we harbor resentment, we do not punish the offender; we imprison ourselves. Holding onto past grievances keeps the soul in perpetual captivity, draining our life force and cutting us off from the natural flow of peace, joy, and spiritual vitality. True strength is found not in our capacity to strike back, but in our willingness to let go.


THE STANDARD OF JOSEPH


Consider the powerful reconciliation of Joseph and his brothers. Years after Joseph had been sold into slavery, and long after he had extended forgiveness to his brothers in Egypt, their father passed away. Suddenly, fear gripped the brothers:


After the death of their father, Joseph's brothers said, "What if Joseph still hates us and plans to pay us back for all the harm we did to him?" So they sent a message to Joseph: "Before our father died, he told us to ask you, 'Please forgive the crime your brothers committed when they wronged you.' Now please forgive us the wrong that we, the servants of your father's God, have done." Joseph cried when he received this message. Then his brothers themselves came and bowed down before him. "Here we are before you as your slaves," they said. But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid; I can't put myself in the place of God. You plotted evil against me, but God turned it into good, in order to preserve the lives of many people who are alive today because of what happened. You have nothing to fear. I will take care of you and your children." So he reassured them with kind words that touched their hearts. — Genesis 50:15-21


Even after experiencing Joseph’s overwhelming mercy, his brothers struggled to comprehend it. Human nature often assumes that a deep wound must eventually demand a penalty. Yet Joseph’s tears revealed a heart completely emptied of malice. He had already surrendered the past, choosing instead to live in the reality of divine purpose.


Joseph’s response offers us four timeless insights:


1. Surrendering the Seat of Judgment: “I cannot put myself in the place of God.” To seek vengeance is to assume a role of ultimate judgment that does not belong to us.

2. Recognizing the Higher Narrative: “You plotted evil... but God turned it into good.” Though human intentions can be destructive, a higher, sovereign hand can redirect those experiences toward growth, endurance, and restoration.

3. Living for a Purpose Greater Than Our Pain: Joseph realized his preservation was meant to serve others. Pursuing a personal grievance would have compromised his capacity to protect and nourish the community during a time of crisis.

4. Active, Restorative Grace: “I will take care of you and your children.” True forgiveness does not merely cease hostilities; it actively seeks the well-being of others, breaking the cycle of guilt and fear so that families and communities can heal together.


A CALL TO SOBRIETY AND REPENTANCE.


This narrative invites us to pause, look inward, and confront the hidden corners of our hearts. 


We must ask ourselves: Are we willing to step down from the seat of judgment and release those who have wronged us?


Let us enter into a space of profound sobriety and repentance:


Repentance from the pride that tells us we have a right to hold onto malice, and from the subtle ways we use our pain to justify harming or excluding others.


Sobriety of mind to recognize that bitterness is a slow poison. We must soberly assess our thoughts, casting away the illusions of self-pity and vindictiveness, and aligning our spirits with the quiet, restorative strength of grace.



THROUGH IT ALL


No matter how deep the wound or how unfair the journey, the path forward is paved with trust. As the classic hymn beautifully reminds us:


I’ve had many tears and sorrow,

I’ve had questions for tomorrow,

There’ve been times I didn’t know right from wrong.

But in every situation,

God gave me blessed consolation,

That my trials come to only make me strong.


Through it all, through it all,

Oh, I’ve learned to trust in Jesus,

I’ve learned to trust in God.

Through it all, through it all,

I’ve learned to depend upon His word.


Are you ready to bring your heavy burdens, your unspoken hurts, and your desires for retaliation to the altar of grace? Let them go today. Free your heart from the pain of yesterday, and step into the boundless freedom of a restored spirit.


A PRAYER FOR THE JOURNEY 


Thank you, Source of all Grace, for meeting me in my weakness. I acknowledge that in my own strength, I cannot easily let go of these offenses. I hand over the pain, the bitterness, and the desire to control the outcome. Guide my heart into true peace and sober-minded love. Amen.


Kindly subscribe to my channels:


YouTube: https://youtube.com/@revdpeter


AudioMack: https://audiomack.com/revdpeter


TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@revdpeter


Peter Abdul-Razaq, OLAYINKA 

A Serving Missionary — Living Grace Christian Missions, Ilara


WhatsApp:+234 806 654 0987  

Mobile: +234 802 849 5639 | +229 019 413 9130  

Email: p

eterrazaq@yahoo.com  

X (Formerly Twitter): @peterrazaq  

LinkedIn: Revd. Peter OLAYINKA

Comments

  1. I am so blessed and I pray that the Lord will bless you more and grant us more abundant grace to live life according to his will in Jesus mighty name

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TAKE YOUR MOUNTAINS. NEVER GIVE EXCUSES.

TAKE YOUR MOUNTAINS. NEVER GIVE EXCUSES.

LEAVE MR. LOT ALONE